Sunday, July 22, 2007

Anatomy


Starting yesterday, today I finished copying my finest book on human-anatomy for artists..456 pages! Wow, I'm very contend, because it's been such a long time since I really sat down, and STUDIED anatomy. It was like a breath of fresh air to go over all these pages, full of muscles, and pictures covering the human body from almost any angle. I once photocopied my exemplar at home using the book I had borrowed from the library..I had never seen such a detailed and clear book written for artists on anatomy.
Unfortunately, I didn't copy the title of the book, but I know that it is written by Gottfried Bammes, a German artscholar. His own drawings are aesthetically speaking not top-notch, but they are very clear and precise. Alongside his own drawings, in the book their are dozens of sketches from artists from all over history and the text is accompanied by many photographs..it's the BEST book. On amazon.com, you can buy some of Gottfried Bammes books. I think this one most closely approximates my version: "Die Gestalt des Menschen" (Hardcover). See the accompanying picture. Never mind the text is German, because the pictures speak for themselves.

No comments: